Ridding Mold Toxins Inside Your Home

mold toxins inside your home
Image Source: Freepik

We all know the feeling of walking into your home and being overwhelmed with joy. You can’t help but feel like a king or queen when you walk through those doors, right? But what if I told you there was something wrong with our castles–mold toxins for example.

Molds may cause respiratory issues such as asthma; they also contribute heavily to inflammation in humans (which leads to many other ailments). This is not just bad news regarding physical health: several studies have shown elevated levels linked between mycotoxins exposure and mental illnesses, including depression.

Indoor air quality is so important to your health. The poor condition the indoors can lead not just to problems with thyroid disease, fibromyalgia, and asthma but also many other ailments such as headaches or hormonal imbalances which could affect everything from digestion rate-weight gain caused by excess cortisol production due to stress levels–to cancer!

Mold (mycotoxins) can be hidden in many places in your home without you knowing.  There are several methods for finding mold and mycotoxins in your home. When looking for someone to do restoration work to remove mold and repair the damages, you should always do your research. If you have two local companies that do this line of work, you can google the comparison of the two. For example, if you live in Montreal, you may search “Canada Restoration Services vs. Mold Busters Montreal” to see what local reviews have to say. Here we will discuss the most common methods:

Searching for visible mold

This method is the most common way of finding mold. Visible mold is almost always because of water damage, so it’s important to find its source. You can find visible mold on bathroom tiles, under rugs, behind wallpaper, in cabinets, and corners.

Before removing the mold, protect yourself and wear a respirator, black nitrile gloves, and goggles. When you remove mold, wear rubber gloves, wear disposable overalls and booties over, and dispose of them afterward. After removing the mold, dispose of it in a plastic bag and clean the area with soap and water.

Checking your HVAC ducts

They can even be found inside the air conditioning ducts. Occasionally, you can start to smell a musty, moldy smell when your HVAC system is running. That could be a sign of mold in your ducts, but not necessarily a guaranteed sign of mold in your ducts. If you suspect mold spores hiding inside your ductwork, consider hiring a company like DUCTZ of Greenville & Spartanburg to inspect your ducts and clean or replace any affected ducts.

Using air tests

This is a more discrete and non-intrusive method. When you use an air test, it’s important to remember that some factors can skew the results. For example, if you use an air test before you know there is mold, it will show 0 formaldehyde because there isn’t any mold yet to produce it. Another example would be the fact that if you use an air test in a room with high humidity, there will be a higher reading than if you use one in a room with low humidity.

Using mold and moisture test kits

These come in different types with slightly different testing procedures. They usually come with a cartridge that you put in the air outlet, and it will show if any harmful chemicals are coming out of the outlet. These tests are very precise and accurate, but they can be a little pricey, so it’s recommended to use them if you already know there is probably mold in your home. Kits typically come with mold removal instructions as well.

If you already see mold or know that there’s been water damage in your home, testing might not be necessary. You can begin mold removal immediately. However, if you need more clarification and want a second opinion, you can find a mold test kit online and in some hardware stores.

Using a specialty meter

Some meters can detect different chemicals than others, so you need to check the meter beforehand to see what types of chemicals it can detect. These are useful for detecting things like formaldehyde, which an air test won’t detect.

Using a moisture detector

This can be useful to figure out if there is mold hidden in walls, the foundation, or between floors that aren’t visible. You can also use it to detect high humidity or water that has seeped in but be warned because it only detects the humidity level, not the mold itself.

Hire a mold professional

This is the best way to find out if there is mold in your house. Mold professionals will do a non-intrusive inspection and a visual check around the home to see any visible mold. If there is, the professional will remove it and test for harmful chemicals to see if there are any hidden mycotoxins in your home. If you suspect there is mold in your home, even if there isn’t visible mold, it’s best to hire a professional so they can remove the mold and test for hidden mycotoxins.

3 Replies to “Ridding Mold Toxins Inside Your Home”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *