How to Care for Your Pearl Jewelry?
Pearl jewelry is iconic, classic and feminine. Since the ancient ages, they have been considered a symbol of perfection. Pearl jewelry is also very delicate, which makes them very hard to clean, no matter if they are natural or synthesized. One needs to care for them and specially to clean them. Pearl is a natural stone and pearl can easily suit with any skin combination. Apart from that, pearl is a precious and costly stone which will reflect your prestige and social status. Now you can buy pearl jewelry from online store and you need to check their quality before buy. Apart from that there are some cheap quality pearls available at low cost and it is suggested to avoid them.
Why Would You Maintain the Pearl Jewelry?
A small bead, particle or seed is covered with a shiny substance called nacre which is secreted by the mollusk. This nacre coating, which is very soft, is the reason why pearls are so delicate. The thickness of the nacre layer is dependent on the type of creature the pearl is obtained from, the type of water it lives in and the amount of time the intruder has been left in place.
- The quality and durability of the pearl increases as the coating of the nacre thickens. A thin nacre means it is fragile and can be chipped off with ease. Even plastic pearls and fake glass pearls need special care because their coating is thinner than nacre.
- Exclusive Pearl jewellery needs special care because they are often strung and leaving the string in water for too long and weaken it or break it.
How to Clean Your Delicate Pearl Jewelry:
- Add a teaspoon of soap to about a liter of warm water. Mix well to form a soapy solution. Make sure that the water is warm and not hot as that can damage your pearl jewelry.
- Soak the pearl jewelry in the mix for 10-15 seconds, or if you are afraid of soaking the pearls, dip a cotton or cloth in the mix and clean the pearls with it.
- Take out the pearls of the soapy water, wet a towel with warm water. Rub the pearl jewelry with the cloth to remove soap or dirt.
- Clean the pearls with a dry and smooth towel and let them dry completely on a soft and flat surface.
Tips to Take Care of Your Pearl Jewelry:
- Put on your pearl jewelry after you have applied your perfume and make up as this way they stay much cleaner.
- Take off your pearl rings before you apply hand and body lotions and do not apply any lotions, water, oil and talc on the pearl jewelry.
- Don’t clean the pearl jewelry with solutions containing harsh detergents or ammonia. It is better to consult with the jewelry store to clean the pearls and they have some special tools to clean them professionally.
- Under any circumstances, don’t put the pearl jewelry in an ultrasonic cleaner. The repeated vibrations can wear off the nacre coating and damage the pearls
- Do not clean the pearls with an abrasive polishing cloth or use abrasive cleaners to clean them. Using both of them can remove the nacre coating and thus, damaging the pearl.
- Don’t store your pearl jewelry in the same box as other jewelry can create stains and fade the color the pearls. Pearls are very delicate and can get scratched easily by gemstones and metals rubbing against them. Keep the pearl jewelry in a soft muslin bag or jewelry box.
At the end of the day, if you just give the pearls a wipe after every use and store them properly, they would shine and look beautiful for a generation.