Healthy Chicken and Veggie Recipe
Are your kids like mine? I have a hard time convincing them that veggies really are tasty! I know I was a kid once too and my taste has definitely changed over the years but I can still remember gagging when eating peas. My mom would tell me that I needed to eat all my peas and I would cry, pitch a fit and let them get cold before I would eat them (which made them taste even nastier).
Now, I pretty much love every veggie (Don’t tell my mom but I still don’t like peas very much). I try to encourage my kids to LIKE veggies but it takes finding recipes like THIS one to get them to really chow down on them! If you have this problem, you HAVE to try this recipe out! My 9-year-old actually asked if he could take leftovers to school today!!!
Here is How I Made the Simple Chicken and Veggies
Start with any veggies you like… or even ones you want to like but don’t. I chose to do this mix of FRESH veggies (I am sure you could use frozen ones if you want to cut down on having to wash and cut veggies)… sweet potato, green beans, broccoli, onion, bell peppers, and fresh garlic were my pick. Chop all veggies.
After chopping the sweet potatoes into small pieces, I put them in a bowl of water and cooked them in the microwave for about 3 minutes to soften them. Drain the water then add to all the other mixed, chopped veggies.
Cut the chicken into bite size pieces. Mix all the veggies and chicken in a big bowl or even place them directly on to a large foil-lined baking tray.
In a small bowl mix together the olive oil and spices.
Drizzle over the veggie/chicken mixture.
I used my hands and tossed the veggies, chicken, olive oil and spices to make sure that everything was coated in the spice/olive oil combo. Spread it all on the baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes (or until chicken is cooked – all depends on how much you have on the tray). I piled my tray up and it cooked in roughly 30 minutes. Just make sure you mix it all after about 10 minutes to prevent any burning (and to cook more evenly).
Serve with quinoa (which takes about 20 minutes to cook. I would start that about the time you put the chicken and veggies in the oven. You are going to LOVE this recipe (and it is SO healthy)!!!
Simple Chicken and Veggie Recipe
- A Variety Fresh Cut Veggies (of your choice)
- 1.5 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Chop all veggies and chicken.
- Microwave chopped sweet potato, half covered in water for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Combine olive oil and all seasonings. Mix well.
- Drizzle seasoning mixture over chicken and veggies.
- Toss to coat all veggies and chicken.
- Spread on baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes (or until chicken is cooked), stir every 10 minutes to prevent burning.